The modes of thinking, the ways of speaking
Subjects of the conference:
The conference focuses upon various ways of modeling miscellaneous philosophic problems trajected through the prism of social and cultural codes, as well as different obstacles in translation from ancient and modern languages; correction and development of the conceptual framework in the humanities. The interdisciplinary approach allows the Conference to engage different sections of human sciences, particularly a history of literature and language, epistemology, hermeneutics, significant issues of socio-cultural communication etc.
National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE)
Philosophy Department, Faculty for the Humanities.
The modes of thinking, the ways of speaking
X International Conference
Time of War and Time of Peace
The HSE Philosophy Department invites you to take part in the annual international conference The Modes of Thinking, the Ways of Speaking. This year discussion will be focused on the concept of time and related issues. Рere is a list of the main conference sections:
- Questions of Temporality in Ancient Philosophy: Towards The New Philosophy of Time;
- War (including civil war) as a special time regime;
- The problem of war, peace, and truce as special regimes of temporality in European culture from Antiquity to the present day;
- State of innocence and natural state: temporality and a-temporality of Christian political philosophy;
- Forms and ways of existing objects in time;
- Time and the problem of personal identity;
- The concept of time in the modern scientific picture of the world;
- Metaphysics and phenomenology of time;
- Critical thinking in the Information Age: models of judgment and argumentation;
- The philosophy of P.F. Strawson;
- Neurosciences and moral responsibility: neuroethics perspectives
Certainly, this list is not closed.
The official languages of the conference will be Russian and English.
The Conference will be held on April 22-26 2019, at the base of the National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE).
The Honour Committee of the Congress:
– Maria Yudkevich, Ph.D., a vice-Rector of the Higher School of Economics
– Alexey Rutkevich, Dr.Hab., full professor, Scientific Director of the faculty of Humanities
– Michail Boitsov, Dr.Hab., full professor, a Dean of the Faculty for the Humanities (HSE)
– Vladimir Porus, Dr.Hab., full professor, a Director of the Department of Philosophy (HSE)
– Dmitry Nosov, Ph.D., full professor, a vice-dean (HSE)
– Dmitry Bondarenko, Dr. Hab, full professor, member-cor. Russian Academy of Sciences (IAS RAS, NRU HSE)
The Organizing Committee:
– President: Alexander Marey, Ph.D., assistant professor (HSE)
– Executive secretary: Maria Marey, Ph.D. (HSE)
– Vice-chairman: Olga Alieva, Ph.D., assistant professor (HSE)
– Vice-chairman: Marina Pugacheva, senior research fellow, Centre for Fundamental Sociology (HSE)
– Vice-chairman: Victor Gorbatov, senior lecturer (HSE)
– Alexander Mishura, lecturer (HSE)
– Maria Schteinman, Ph.D., assistant professor (RSUH)
– Alexey Pleshkov, deputy director Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities (HSE)
– Andrey Teslya, Ph.D., assistant professor (BSU, Kaliningrad)
– Elizaveta Zakharova, grad.student (HSE)
– Sophia Porfirieva, grad.student (HSE)
– Daria Chaganova, grad.student (HSE)
Registration up to 30.03.2019
– two thousand rubles (2000 rub) for lecturers and research fellows
– one thousand rubles (1000 rub) for grad. students and postgrad. students
Registration after 30.03.2019
– three thousand rubles (3000 rub) for lecturers and research fellows
– two thousand rubles (2000 rub) for grad. students and postgrad. students
Members of the Organizing Committee, speakers of plenary sessions and all moderators of the sections are exempt from paying the registration fee. With regards to the other participants, the questions on the exemption from registration fee and/or providing scholarships for travel expenses to Moscow and hotel accommodation for the period of accommodation will be addressed on an individual basis.
Conditions for participants:
The Committee does not cover the travel expense and accommodation in Moscow, meanwhile, the possible places of accommodation may be provided.
- 20.02.19 – completion of abstract submission;
- 15.03.19 – the authors are informed about the decision of the Organizing Committee and sent a preliminary program of the event;
- 21.03.19 – completion of registration of participants
- For further information, please contact the Executive Secretary of the organizing Committee Maria Marey: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Conference organizing Committee address: 109028, Moscow, Basmannaya station., 21/4, who. 424. Tel: 8-926-535-61-87 (Victor Gorbatov); 8-916-396-32-12 (Alexander Marey); 8-960-000-80-22 (Maria Marey)
Formats of participation
- Plenary session (speech aprox.40 min, question & discussion 20 min)
- Thematic section (speech aprox.20 min, question & discussion 10 min)
- Panel discussion (speech aprox.15 min, question & discussion 5 min)
Possible formats of applications for participation in the conference:
1. Abstracts up to 1000 words;
2. Proposal of the section, including the composition of participants and abstracts of their reports.
The deadline for submissions is 20th February 2019.
The application should be made in English or in Russian with English annotation. Applications should be accompanied by reference information about the author (name, title, and position, place of work, contact details).
Questions should be directed to the e-mail of The Organization Committee: email@example.com.